Monday, October 3, 2011

The home of Elijah


Elijah is a remarkable man in Kisayani. He is middle-aged, short, rather thin, quiet although talks a lot. But he is also a man of many skills: farmer, tree-planter, a builder, brick-maker, well-digger, host, labourer, and the treasurer for the irrigation co-operative. He also has an incredibly compassionate heart for his visitors and his children.

He was one of the first men I met in the village and has accompanied me this week, making sure my first week was not spend alone. He showed me to the local schools, churches, market, and government offices and has lots to share about his home. Elijah also seems to be related to everyone, either his nephew, cousin, great aunt, or one of his sisters, he has many roots here in Kisayani.

Elijah’s priority is for his children. He has three boys and enrolls them in the private school, which is not free (unlike the public school). He is not a rich man but knows the quality of education at the private school will likely graduate his children from primary school and into secondary school giving them a better future. The other day his child was taken out of school and sent home to bring back the school fees. Since he cannot cover these payments he helps out around the school—and by help out I mean build the school. He helped construct it from bricks he made, and he continues to do repairs and additions when needed.

Elijah has a wife and family of his own, but still lives on his parents (very common) land. He has taken me to his home several times and introduced me to his grandmother who is about 100 years old, mother and father, and the rest of his family who lives with him. He showed me his farm which is approaching planting season for the rains. He also insists I help out on the farm since there is no gym in Kisayani. On his property is a mango tree, the oldest one (and first planted) in all of Kisayani. When he was in secondary school all students were given a piece of fruit on Wednesdays. Instead of throwing away the pits of mangoes, Elijah would save them. During one rainy season he planted about 30 mango seeds, of which one survived over the years and through the dry season. About 25 years later he is able to offer his family the (literal) fruits of his labour—around a thousand mangoes.

Among other things, Elijah earns income by digging boreholes and wells. The amazing thing is he does this by hand. While I have yet to see him at work, from what he tells me it is extremely difficult work. He has one well that is 22 metres deep. He asked if I wanted to venture down there with him. I said no.

Elijah and his son Steve 
Perhaps the best time I shared with Elijah so far, was his son’s 11th birthday party, a pretty moving experience. His son, Steve, has a physical disorder (something like cerebral palsy) that has him slightly paralyzed on half of his body. Elijah tells me he carries his son 2km to school since he cannot walk well, but gets him to walk a small portion each time so that now his son is able to move around freely. He has taught his son to write and to feed himself with a fork. Steve is enrolled in school and is on the same level as the other children. Despite a speech impediment he speaks both Kiswahili and Kikamba, as well as understands my English.

Elijah told me days in advance of his son’s birthday, so I was able to buy a soccerball to give to him to give his son. When I arrived at the home (a piece of land with several grass huts) it was already very dark and he took me into his house where he had a solar powered lamp that he installed himself. He also tells me he is trying to adapt a vehicle carburetor to harness the wind’s energy.

Anyway, eventually his children, parents, and grandparents came into the eating area of his house where food was laid out. He said they usually have meat on birthday’s but since the drought has been difficult they cannot afford to have it this time. So instead we shared plates of potatoes and cabbage. After dinner the great-grandmother and grand-father shared a few speeches and allowed me to give a small one. When that was over he presented his son with the gift they had gotten him: a pack of crayons and a pencil, as well as one for his youngest son (so he wouldn’t be jealous). He also gave his son the soccerball. His son was smiling the whole night.


Elijah allowed me to take pictures of the party so that I can print them for him. He saves many pictures and puts them into different scrapbooks for his kids, so that when they get older they will have a ‘memory book’ incase he does not live on to share stories of their childhood to them. 

2 comments:

  1. Moving story! I like the moskito net in the background. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Geoff, thanks for your stories. This one brought tears to my eyes. Those kids are so precious.

    ReplyDelete