Friday, May 22, 2009

leaving tomorrow...

Tomorrow (Friday) morning, I'm finally leaving. I wont arrive in Dar Es Salaam until Sunday, but I will still be leaving behind snow ridden Edmonton destined for coastal/tropical rains and humidity. I can't believe I'll finally be going. I have been pursuing this internship for almost a year and I still have lots to get in order and to pack. It is a mix of nervousness and excitement but it will be a relief to finally just go. 

For those of you who don't know yet...

I am going to Tanzania (East Africa) for an internship from my degree at King’s with the help of the Micah Centre on campus. Today I also discovered I will be the recipient of a CIDA (Canadian International Development Agency) grant from the Students for Development Program. This is great news as it allows me more freedom when I am in Tanzania and covers most of my trip. I will be working with the Christian Reformed World Relief Committee (CRWRC) for just over 3 months and doing a bit of travelling until I return to Edmonton on August 23rd. I will be working under the country director and travelling around Mwanza/Sengerema area towards the North around Lake Victoria. Although I have much to learn when I get to Tanzania, so far it sounds like I will be working with various branches of CRWRC that work with microfinance (small business operations), agriculture, street children, and other areas of society. I will be spending the first month in Dar es Salaam (the financial and old capital city) learning Swahili, visiting projects and getting accustomed to life there. 

I have been interesting in development work in the past and I hope that this opportunity will not only stretch me as a person and challenge me, but also be a way to discern my future and what I want to do with my life. I will be travelling independently for the first time, and I have never been as far away (southern hemisphere & 9 hour time change) from North America. I know there will be challenges but at the same time I know I will be learning and growing so much. I was having a conversation with someone the other day and I realized how its these opportunities in life, that when they are pursued, change and transform you, it is only our responsibility to accept them and go forth with hope and faith in God. 

 Your prayers, emails, and comments would be greatly appreciated.


See:

Students For Development: 

Micah Centre: 

CRWRC Tanzania: 


9 comments:

  1. Woo hoo! Bon Voyage man!
    Nice work on putting together a blog... I'll be staying tuned!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're excited for you Geoff! Have a great flight - our prayers are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to hear updates on your trip! You are in my prayers. Have a safe...very long...flight, or flights I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  4. looking forward to hearing from you soon

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi Geoff We hope you arrived safely in Tanzania. May God bless you in your work in the days to come

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi visiting from the Okanagan. It's cold here so I,m sure you are much hotter than I am. Thinking of you

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Geoff

    So good to speak with you on the phone and to learn you are well. Great to hear that Swahili language training is a good challenge. You're in my thoughts and prayers.

    Love,


    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Geoff, I spoke with you're dad and he let me know of you're plans.
    Exciting stuff gor a young guy!
    Congrats on the grant, good stuff.
    I guess with the Oilers out of the playoffs there was no reason to stay in Alberta eh?
    Best wishes from all of us in Victoria.
    unc Gerb

    ReplyDelete
  9. Monday June22.09.Dear Jeff We just finished reading your report about Tanzanine. How interesting,we feel like visiting,but at our age is not so easey We did have the childeren and grandchilderen over yesterday for Fathersday and it was also our 54th anniversary ,Your Mom and Dad did phone Hope you learn a lot there and we wish you the Lords blessing on your work there.Love Opa and Oma.

    ReplyDelete